Launched back in 2012, the Mazda CX-5 has become a popular vehicle and favorable choice for many drivers worldwide. However, it was always considered as a softroader and urban-style crossover – mainly because of its Kodo design language and lots of other features intended for safe and enjoyable driving on the pavement.
Though, the model can be fitted with an all-wheel drive system that is good enough for you to feel comfortable behind the steering wheel driving on snow, sand and dirt. The only thing you still need to cope with is that the CX-5 is too beautiful to get covered in mud.
“The only thing you still need to cope with is that the CX-5 is too beautiful to get covered in mud.”
However, Fūty Andersson Ōshima from Japan thought that the CX5 AWD crossover is good and capable enough to cope with off-road adventures and then made sure that his vehicle will do the job well. First and foremost, he lifted the CX-5 to clear the biggest possible tires to not harm the drivetrain and suspension size and installed proper wheels, being BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 265/70R16 that equals to 31” in common off-road sizing equivalent. As for the rims, the model runs on XTREME-J XJ04 16×8.0j 5×114.3 +18 matte bronz/black ones.
“First and foremost, he lifted the CX5 to clear the biggest possible to not harm the drivetrain and suspension size and installed proper wheels, being BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 265/70R16 that equals to 31”
Now, when the CX-5 has the needed traction to ride on any surface, it is needed to get all the necessary stuff with you. Here, side awning by Darche and Yakima roof rack come in handy. To add some finishing touches to the look, Fūty added Raptor-style Amber LED grille lights and custom black plastic fender flares. Now, his Mazda is completely off-road ready, besides it is one and only CX-5 off-road project taken to this level. Check Fūty’s Instagram profile to look at this unusual project by yourself and know more about his off-road adventures.
“To add some finishing touches to the look, Fūty added Raptor-style Amber LED grille lights and custom black plastic fender flares”
Mazda CX5 Specs
- Tires: BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 265/70R16 (equals to 31”)
- Rims: XTREME-J XJ04 16×8.0j 5×114.3 +18 matte bronze/black
- Custom black plastic fender flares
- Raptor-style Amber LED grille lights
- Darche side awning
- Yakima roof rack
- Custom Lift kit: 2″ front, 3.5″ rear.
As an affiliate, we may receive a commission when you purchase certain products featured in this post.
Related Parts & Mods
– Inspired by this Mazda CX5 build and looking to prepare your own crossover for off-road adventures? Some parts used in this build were sourced from custom shops or custom made, but our team has put together a list of similar products and accessories available online that may help you to achieve similar results:
- Tema4x4 Complete Lift Kit 40mm – For Mazda CX-5 2016-present
- DEALPAREX Lift Kit 1.2 inch 30mm – For Mazda CX-5 2016-present
- BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A Tire 265/70R16 – Special tire for crossovers (May rub)
- BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 265/70R16 – Multi purpose off-road tire (May rub)
Keep in mind, 265/70R16 All terrain Tires are heavily oversized, so cutting or modifications may be required to make them work even with a lift kit! You can go with a smaller tire to stay on a safe side though.
- VLAOSCHI Forged 5×4.5 Hubcentric Wheel Spacers 1.5″ – CX-5 2013-2018.
We noticed that some CX5 owners order these spacers for a more aggressive off-road stance. Cutting/modifications may be required to run them.
- SNIXWOO Roof Rails + Cross Bars – For Mazda CX-5 2017-2023
Hitch For Towing or Accessories
- CURT 13315 Class 3 Trailer Hitch with 2-Inch Receiver – For Mazda CX-5 2017-2023
- VANGUARD Black Powdercoat Optimus LED Wide Bull Bar – For Mazda CX5 2013-2022
- YITAMOTOR Floor Mats – Full set with cargo liner
Roof Top Tent
- Thule Tepui Explorer Ayer 2 Rooftop Tent – 2 person
- DANCHEL OUTDOOR Overland Awning (5×8.2ft) – Pull-out style
- RIGID INDUSTRIES E-Series PRO LED Lightbar – Spot/Flood Optic Combo 20 Inch
*Before ordering any part or accessory, it is recommended that you verify its fitment with a qualified professional and/or seller. We are not responsible for fitment or other issues that may arise from using the products featured on our website.
Stay tuned for more project reviews on Offroadium.com – Follow us on social media, and share this write-up if you enjoyed reading it!
Matt is a professional mechanic, experienced off-roader, writer and founder of Offroadium. With over 15 years immersed in the off-road community and 100,000+ miles logged on rugged trails across the Americas, Grabli shares extensive real-world knowledge. He previously worked as an automotive technician before shifting focus to specialty off-road projects. His passion is prepping capable rigs for off-roading and helping others to build the 4x4s of their dreams.