Even though a Nissan Armada isn’t the most popular SUV choice for overlanding, it has pretty good off-road potential. Being equipped with a capable 4WD system, a powerful V8, and offering plenty of room for gear it can become an ultimate adventure mobile for you.
To perform well off the beaten path it’s always a great idea to upgrade it with a set of slightly bigger off-road tires with aggressive tread to maximize traction. The good news is that 33 inch tires fit on both generations of Armada without any modifications, but if you are looking to outfit your truck with 35s – a small spacer or suspension lift kit will be required. So, let’s find out what sizes are the most common for this model!
Benefits of installing 33″, 34″ or 35″ tires on a Nissan Armada / Patrol, Infiniti QX56 /QX80
Installing larger tires is the ultimate way to improve the off-road capabilities of any truck or SUV, because they improve the ground clearance, approach/departure angles, and widen the tracks. Besides they provide a larger ground contact point which maximizes the grip and improves traction. They will also improve the visual appeal of your truck, giving it a wider stance and beefier appearance.
- Improved ground clearance
- Improved approach and departure angles
- Improved grip and traction
- Better stability
- Awesome looks
Nothing is perfect and so there are some disadvantages of running larger tires that you must be aware of. Bigger tires and a lift put more stress on the suspension components, which may require more frequent maintenance. They also raise the vehicle’s center of gravity, which slightly improves the body roll. Due to the improved overall wheel diameter, the speedometer readings will no longer be accurate.
- Potentially more frequent maintenance of the suspension components
- Improved body roll (with high lift)
- Inaccurate speedometer readings
- Gas mileage
Below is the list of factory equipped wheel sizes and comparison with 33″, 34″, and 35″ tires
2008-2016 Nissan Armada Factory Tire sizes and their Equivalents in Inches
2017-2021 Nissan Armada Factory Tire sizes and their Equivalents in Inches
Based on the information provided on Wheel-size.com
Common 33 inch tires
Common 34 inch tires
Based on the Tire Size Comparison Visualizer at Tire-size.com
Common 35 inch tires
All-Terrain or Mud-Terrain tires?
A properly selected wheel and tire package will extensively improve the off-road capabilities of your Nissan Armada or Patrol. If you chose a lift kit, then most definitely it’s supplier provided you with a maximum available tire size for your model. Just follow the recommendations and choose A/T or M/T tires that fit in your budget. If you aren’t sure which tires to choose, check our M/T and A/T tire comparison.
- Pros: All-Terrain is a universal type of off-road tire that performs perfectly in the sand, ok on gravel, ok in the snow, and bad in dirt and mud. Thanks to the less aggressive tire tread than M/Ts it behaves much better on concrete roads, providing a better gas mileage and quieter ride.
- Cons: Useless in deep mud.
- Recommended A/T tire options on Amazon.
- Pros: Mud Terrain is an advanced type of offroad tire, that works great on pretty much any terrain including mud, rocks, snow, and even sand.
- Cons: Due to the aggressive tread patterns it doesn’t do great in terms of handling on paved roads. It’s a lot noisier and wears out faster.
- Recommended M/T tire options on Amazon.
What lift should I choose to install 34, or 35-inch tires on a Nissan Armada?
There is a wide choice of aftermarket suspension lift kits available for Nissan Armada, starting from simple 1″ and 2″ space, up to 4-6″ long-travel suspension kits. You can read more about them in this article.
- Leveling kits & Spacers (no serious off-roading) 34-35″ tires
- Full suspension Lift kits (good for serious off-roading) 33-35″ tires
- Long travel suspension kits (hardcore off-roading, off-road racing) 33-35″ tires
View all Nissan Armada Lift kit options on Amazon.
As you see, it is absolutely possible to install larger 33″ or 35″ tires on your Nissan Armada. It requires a bit of research and measuring to choose the right wheel/lift combo, but it is much easier to rely on the experience of the owners who already completed this sort of modification. We encourage you to check forums, and social media, find the look you want and get the parts used on this particular vehicle. As an alternative, you can always rely on professional advice from experienced professionals at your local shop or take advantage of phone or online support at the online shop you trust.
*Since the suspension modifications and the installation of the oversized tires require advanced measurements and depend on many parameters, such as vehicle sub-model, trim level, state of the suspension components, aftermarket upgrades, etc., we highly recommend confirming fitment parameters for your particular vehicle with the sales representative of your lift and tire supplier before making a purchase. The recommendations in this article are presented for general informational purposes only, so we are not responsible for any problems with the wheel and tire fitment or any other damage that may occur to your vehicle.
Automotive journalist and technical writer at Offroadium.com with more than 10 years of experience in the sphere of aftermarket parts and 4×4 vehicle modifications. Passionate about off-roading, outdoor adventures, and an active lifestyle.