The vehicles used for offroading are incredibly diverse today. While the majority of drivers prefer tried and tested platforms such as body-on-frame SUV and trucks, others feel a little more adventurous about this choice and don’t hesitate to try something different.
The hero of our today’s feature decided to pick an Audi Q7 for his new off-road adventure project and equipped this premium-level SUV with all necessary upgrades to turn it into a convenient and reliable overland vehicle.
While this vehicle is considered to be a soft-roader and doesn’t have the low-range transfer case and lockers common for 4×4 vehicles, it’s has a pretty impressive off-road potential just like it’s VAG brothers VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne. Thanks to the Quattro all-wheel-drive system, central locking differential, and various electronic advancements, it shows pretty good results in mud, sand, and snow.
“While this vehicle is considered to be a soft-roader, it’s has a pretty impressive off-road potential just like its same-plattform brothers VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne.”
Of course, a Q7 may not be the best choice for serious off-roading, it is capable enough for recreational off-roading, camping, and outdoor explorations. Add spacious and comfortable interior, TDI fuel efficiency, agile performance, and you get a perfect all-around vehicle to have fun with.
There is one challenge that waits for every pioneer on his path, though. If you attempt doing things differently – get ready to be creative. Obviously, the aftermarket support for this model isn’t strong, so except for the roof rack and universal components that sit on top of this Q7, the owner had to address the suspension/wheel setup question and modify the bumper.
“There is one challenge that waits for every pioneer on his path, though. If you attempt doing things differently – get ready to be creative.”
Thanks to quite large wheel wells he managed to install a set of 18×8 Viktor Equipment Berg rims with +10 off-set, wrapped in Nitto Ridge Grappler tires sized 295/70R18 which is slightly more than 35″. Pretty impressive for a soft-roader!
The suspension mods feature MCS coilovers set to the max height plus 1″ spacer on the front, 2″ subframe drop, and Eurowise Performance arms.
Awesome-looking pre-runner style winch bumper was DIY fabricated by the ower from 2×2 steel and equipped with a set of 3 round driving lights.
On top, you can see the ARB awning and GFC rooftop tent with a solar battery setup.
Questions & Answers
Why did you choose a Q7 for your project?
– 3 rows of seats. tdi tow package. Areo package.
What do you like the most about it?
– The look.
What challenges did you face while putting it together?
– A lot of trial and error. That’s been the biggest challenge and most costly. You think you’ve got all your ducks in a row and it still does not go as planned.
SPECS – AUDI Q7 Quattro TDI
- Swift Springs (front)
- Eurowise 1.5″ lift spacer milled down (front only)
- Eurowise front/rear control arm
- Eurowise 2″ subframe drop
- 18×8 Victor Equip Berg rims +10 offset
- Nitto Grappler 295/70R18
- ARB awning
- GFR roof top tent
Watch the progress and find out more about this Audi Q7 project by visiting the Instagram profile of the owner: @q7overlander!
Related Parts & Mods
– Inspired by this Audi Q7 build and looking to prepare your own crossover for off-road adventures? Some parts used on this vehicle were sourced from custom shops or custom made, but our team has put together a list of products and accessories available online that may help you to achieve similar results:
- Tema4x4 Complete Lift Kit 40mm for Audi Q7 2005-2015 – Not for Air Suspension (If you have air suspension, than we recommend using the lift kit mentioned in the article above)
- Nitto Ridge Grappler All Terrain Tire 295/70R18 – Requires a lift and other modifications (may rub)
- Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Rooftop Cargo System – 60″ x 49″
- ARB 4×4 Rooftop Retractable Awning – Available in Various Sizes
Roof Top Tent
- Mamba 3 Clamshell Aluminum Roof Top Tent – Black Shell & Grey Body
- Baja Designs Squadron Sport LED – Yellow Driving/Combo
- HELLA 500FF Series Driving Lamp Kit, Multi, 6″ – Yellow Covers are Optional
*Before ordering any part or accessory, it is recommended that you verify its fitment with a qualified professional and/or seller. We are not responsible for fitment or other issues that may arise from using the products featured on our website.
Stay tuned for more project reviews on Offroadium.com – Follow us on social media, and share this write-up if you enjoyed reading it!
Automotive journalist and technical writer at Offroadium.com with more than 10 years of experience in the sphere of aftermarket parts and 4×4 vehicle modifications. Passionate about off-roading, outdoor adventures, and an active lifestyle.