Land Rovers have been praised as some of the most iconic vehicles for off-road driving and outdoor adventures for many decades. Their rugged construction, dependability, recognizable look, and of course outstanding capability are just a few reasons for such an honorable mention. The latter but probably the most important feature – off-road capability was proven a countless number of times by numerous drivers, including a famous Camel Trophy. This really demanding and extreme vehicle-oriented competition showed that Land Rover vehicles can cope with even the most severe off-road challenges and will handle any trails.
The Discovery, also often referred as the “Disco”, is a proud member of the family. As the nameplate implies, it delivers everything you may need going for off-road adventures or discovering unknown trails. At the same time, the model offers premium-level comfort and convenience with numerous amenities and cutting-edge features. You can easily, comfortably and safely bring along the family of six anywhere – it is really difficult to find a better all around out of the box vehicle than a Discovery 4.
“You can easily, comfortably and safely bring along the family of six anywhere – it is really difficult to find a better all around out of the box vehicle than a Discovery 4”
Mark Caldwell from Salt Lake City, UT drives one of these mechanical masterpieces. Though, as a real car enthusiast, one day he decided that his Discovery can do more and started to upgrade it. As of now, the vehicle is an outstanding off-road conqueror that is really should be spoken about. We were lucky enough to contact Mark and that’s what he told us about his Land Rover Discovery and the modifications he made to it.
“Though, as a real car enthusiast, one day he decided that his Discovery can do more and started to upgrade it”
How did you become interested in off-roading?
– I started off-roading to show my children the world I explored when I was young. And to find the places where we can see the pure Dark Sky. I grew up exploring the wilderness outside of the mouth of Yosemite valley on my grandfather’s ranch. We would drive around in his old CJ. No doors. No windows. No windscreen. No seatbelts. Just the smell of petrol and dust. And I never felt more alive than when I was camping, hiking or driving among the stars. That passion grew as I became older and explored areas like Canyonlands and Arches in my mom’s Subaru Outback. This eventually led me to military convoy operations. Now I get to pass on this passion to my children.
“I started off-roading to show my children the world I explored when I was young. And to find the places where we can see the pure Dark Sky”
Why did you choose a Discovery 4 for your project?
– Nothing is more iconic for overlanding than the Land Rover heritage. I wanted a strong out of the box all around off roader that I could bring along the family. I need 6 seats. My first trail with the Discovery 4 was Fins n Things in Moab, UT with street tires & no airing down. I learned a lot since then. The Discovery family is very capable with minimal modifications. And the air suspension with surround sound is a nice addition. I also really like the upright sitting position in the Land Rover LR4. I feel in control of the vehicle much more than the alternate options.
“Nothing is more iconic for overlanding than the Land Rover heritage.”
What inspired you to choose this modification style?
– As a Land Rover fan, I was inspired to choose these modifications after seeing Expedition Portal Project LR4 and the extraordinary craftsmanship of the team at Lucky 8 Off Road. Combined with what I saw coming out of Prospeed UK.
What challenges did you face while putting it together?
– After-market products and modifications for a Land Rover are not as common as the alternative brands. There are loads of options to modify your Jeep or Toyota. Especially in Western US. However, Land rover modifications are a smaller group. And so I needed to learn how to do things myself with lots of help from forums etc. Thank you for You Tube! Also this past year the pandemic tightened up the supply chain and the budget.
After-market products and modifications for a Land Rover are not as common as the alternative brands
What do you love about your vehicle?
– I love that it has endless possibilities. I can configure for some many different activities. I can load up my family and drive to places that we can be completely isolated under a Dark Sky. Also I really dig the cockpit and upright driver position with a proper arm rest.
Is it your daily or a weekend ride?
– A little bit of both. Depends on the time of year.
Do you take it off road? If so, where and how often?
– We take it on 2-3 long trips (week+) a year. And then hit the shorter trails as many weekends as life permits. Mostly around Utah, Moab, the Mighty 5 national parks, high Uintas . Check out the pony express trail!
*Land Rover Discovery LR4 has made its way into the list of 15 Best Modern Off Road SUVs and proudly scored 102.5 points overall according our evaluation tests.
SPECS – 2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE LUX (L319)
- V6 Supercharged 3.0 Liter. 340 HP
- Heavy Duty 2-speed transfer case
- Rear and Center Locking differential.
Lift height and suspension
- Proud Rhino 2-inch Lift rods from Lucky8
- Proud Rhino SYA extension kit from Lucky8
- Land Rover OEM Air Suspension
- Compomotive 1881 in black (18×8) (-44 offset)
- Cooper STT Pro LT275/65/18
- Prospeed UK roof rack and rear ladder.
- Prospeed UK Rock and Tree sliders.
- Prospeed UK compressor guard.
- Tactical Rover rear steel bumper with dual swing-away tire carrier and jerry can holder.
- Redarc Tow Pro Elite Trailer Brake
- Midland MXt275 GMRS Radio
- Bearmach Rear Upper Storage Shelf
- Escape Gear Seat Covers
- Eezi Awn manta 270 Awning
- Roam 95L Storage Box
- Frontrunner 45L water tank
- Maxtrax Rear Wheel Harness
- Expedition Essentials Propane Quick Mount
What are your future plans about this vehicle?
– Looking forward to adding front steel bumper & winch, under body protection, roof Top Tent and overland trailer.
Anything else you would like to share about your vehicle or about the off-roading in general?
– Just get out and drive. Explore. Don’t worry about having the best or latest equipment. There is a trail our there for you.
Watch the progress and find out more about this Land Rover Discovery 4 overland adventure project by visiting the Instagram profile of the owner: @x6discovery!
Related Parts & Mods
– Inspired by this Land Rover Discovery 4 build and looking to prepare your own SUV for off-road adventures? Some parts used on this vehicle were sourced from custom shops or custom made, but our team has put together a list of products and accessories available online that may help you to achieve similar results:
- 2.5″ Performance Lift Kit For EAS Suspension – For Land Rover LR3 (2005-2009), LR4 (2010-2016) and Range Rover Sport/Sport Supercharged(2006-2009)
- Nitto Ridge Grappler All-Terrain Tire – 275/55R20 (may require a lift)
- Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack Kit – Land Rover Discovery LR3/LR4
Roof Top Tent
- Front Runner Roof Top Tent – Lightweight & Low-Profile
- Rhino-Rack Sunseeker 6.6ft 2.0m Awning – Various Sizes are Availabe
- Baja Designs LP4 Pro Amber Driving/Combo LED Lights – Comes in Pairs
*Before ordering any part or accessory, it is recommended that you verify its fitment with a qualified professional and/or seller. We are not responsible for fitment or other issues that may arise from using the products featured on our website.
Stay tuned for more project reviews on Offroadium.com – Follow us on social media, and share this write-up if you enjoyed reading it!
Matt brings over a decade of automotive expertise to his role as staff writer and editor at Offroadium.com. With an enduring passion for the off-road vehicles and adventures, he is devoted to creating interesting content that equips 4x4 enthusiasts with the knowledge to improve their rigs.